Football: J2 Kofu draw with Melbourne, Urawa grab late win over Wuhan

J-League second-division side Ventforet Kofu claimed a vital point in the Asian Champions League group stage Wednesday in a 3-3 home draw with Australia's Melbourne City while reigning champions Urawa Reds grabbed a late 2-1 win over China's Wuhan Three Towns.

Kofu, last season's Emperor's Cup winners, had substitute forward Jumma Miyazaki's 85th-minute equalizer to thank at Tokyo's National Stadium as they moved up to eight points, alongside Melbourne, with a chance to progress to the knockout phase ahead of their last Group H game.

"We went into the game imagining we'd win it. This is the result we have, so we'll keep our motivation high until the last game," Kofu manager Yoshiyuki Shinoda said.

Melbourne took the lead just five minutes in when right-back Callum Talbot skipped past his marker with a step-over before firing into the near top corner from inside the box.

Kofu leveled just three minutes later following a half-cleared free kick, with left-back Sota Miura's chipped cross headed home by unmarked center-back Shion Inoue.

The home side took the lead two minutes to the break when Inoue's long ball caught Melbourne defender Curtis Good out. Attacker Yoshiki Torikai ran behind and threw his body in the air to meet a bouncing ball, with his volley looping over stranded keeper Jamie Young and finding the net.

Melbourne restored the parity with Tolgay Arslan's 59th-minute penalty after Miura blocked a Leo Natel cross with his hand inside the box and retook the lead five minutes later when Natel's cross was met by a Marin Jakolis half-volley.

Kofu substitute Nagi Matsumoto's ferocious 25-meter effort was saved by Young in the 82nd minute before a right-wing cross by forward Cristiano, also off the bench, was headed in by Miyazaki as Shinoda's benchwork paid off.

At Saitama Stadium, Jose Kante scored the dramatic 90th-minute winner for Urawa as they moved up to seven points and sit second ahead of their final Group J game.

The 33-year-old Spaniard, who two days earlier announced he is retiring at the end of the season, came on in the 70th minute and scored the 90th-minute winner when he controlled a loose ball with his right thigh outside the box before rifling a left-footed volley into the right bottom corner.

Urawa center-back Alexander Scholz opened the scoring with a 37th-minute penalty before Wuhan leveled through a calm finish from Davidson in the 68th minute.

© Kyodo News